Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Writer's Grail - I am a Writer.

Yesterday I attended the Writer's Grail Workshop (this is the first one and they will be offering more in 2011.   www.writersgrail.com)  in Denver with Kathleen MacGowan and Philip Coppens. I loved it.  I loved getting to meet and connect with Kathleen and to own that I AM A WRITER.   I am a writer because I write.  I now expand this declaration to include that I AM AN AUTHOR.  

While I was working on an exercise yesterday at the workshop, I shifted my role as author to the center of my soul's mission.  Even as I put this on a piece of paper, something didn't feel completely right to me.  I realize that PILGRIM is at the center of my mission.  As I own and embody who I am as a pilgrim, very closely connected is my being an author and writer.  Perhaps they are inseparable.  Hmm...

There are many people, including Kathleen, who have known that they have wanted to be a writer since they were a child.  Not true for me.  It has been since I have stepped into being a pilgrim that the writer in me is asking to be birthed.  Perhaps like divine complements, they co-exist with each other, and do not exist fully by themselves.  Until right now, I have questioned whether or not I can still be a writer since I haven't wanted it forever, yet as I write this, I realize that my desire to be a writer could not be seen or felt until I became a pilgrim and connected with the Camino, and the sacred art of pilgrimage.  For me, being a writer is as much about what I want to write about as it the craft of writing.

Today I begin a 21 Day Commitment to write for 5 or more minutes every day.  This is spiritual act of my living into, or perhaps more truthfully, living out of that I AM A WRITER.  

My writing my book about the journey of the Celtic Camino is one of my deepest priorities for 2011, and my intention is to have the first draft of the book completed by May 31, 2011.  In June, I return to England and spend my summer traveling, with the intention to walk the next leg of the Camino from Puenta la Reina to Toulouse in September.  So to have the book completed before I begin my travels will be a send off to the next leg of my pilgrim journey.

Thy will be done.

Suseya!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment