Monday, May 10, 2010

La Camina, a.k.a. The Celtic Camino

So if I have spent the last 20 years getting by and not dealing with the split, why now? Why now am I choosing to focus on healing the split?

This is a question that I have been asking myself. I really believe that my choosing to heal the split represents a convergence of intention on every level and that the time is now! It chose me and I chose it.

I committed to the work of "healing the split" during the ritual from now nearly 21 years ago - it was the summer that I became pregnant with my now 20 year old son. It really doesn't matter if I remembered the ritual or not. I made a commitment that afternoon that has powerfully shaped my life. And now I am remembering that commitment.

Also, a year ago I became a pilgrim. Last spring, I walked the last 170 kilometers of the El Camino de Santiago in Spain and then I traveled by train with my then 15 year old daughter up the Celtic Camino from Santiago up through France to Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh, Scotland. I am clear that as a pilgrim, we have both our conscious reasons for our pilgrimages and also our unconscious reasons that only become apparent after we have completed our journey. Perhaps if we were to know the true reason for the pilgrimage we might not take it, so we go on our journey under the pretense of our known reasons. Yet the pilgrimage works its magic and the real reason always emerges anyway.

Walking the Camino and traveling up the Celtic Camino was a pilgrimage of initiation for me. I admit that I knew it was an initiation, but quite honestly, at the time, I had no idea what I was being initiated into. This is what has revealed itself over the past year. Sue Kenney, with whom I walked the Camino last year, says that "when the Camino is over, the journey begins." What is so interesting is that Sue is back on the Camino right now walking through Galicia to Santiago. She is walking a day or two further than we did a year ago, but I am reliving my Camino as I follow her on her Susesya page in Facebook. It is so alive and pulsing in me a year later, as though I can remember every step that I walked.

My journey began when I left Rosslyn Chapel last June.

In the perfection of Spirit, without my having to do anything to plan this, I traveled to the city of my birth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in England. I began my journey home at my birthplace.

But I jump ahead of myself. I want to share more with you about my pilgrimages as they are essential to why I am healing the split and even writing this blog today.

While I was on the Camino, I realized that walking the Camino was my physical and spiritual preparation for the Celtic Camino. While everyone else was walking the Camino as their pilgrimage, I was walking in preparation for my sacred pilgrimage, the journey that follows a sacred configuration of seven pre-Christian sites, from Santiago de Compostela, Spain, up through France to Rosslyn, Scotland. This sacred configuration forms the route of a "pilgrimage of initiation" used by the Druids and Christian mystics in their search for true knowledge and enlightenment. These 7 sacred sites actually correspond to the 7 chakras of the human body.

Even before I left to travel on this pilgrimage, I called this journey “La Camina.” I could feel deep within myself that it embodied for me the sacred feminine and the hidden streams of spirituality that flow beneath the surface, connecting all of life, rooted in the body of the Earth and the ancient wisdom traditions. After my experiences on the pilgrimage and in my journey over the past year, I am more clear than ever that the Celtic Camino is a profound "pilgrimage of initiation" and that even more importantly, it is an initiation of deep feminine wisdom and healing.

Hence, LA CAMINA. It is the way of the feminine, a feminine journey to bring one home to oneself, in body, in wholeness, balance and deep connection. One is not hit over the head. It is subtle, yet profound. It unearths oneself from the deep core of our being without our even having to be aware of it until it starts to spill over into one's life, like a volcano.

It has not been a violent process for me. The volcano isn't spewing hot lava ferociously, at least not yet. It has been persistent, oozing, heating up, not to be ignored and you'd better pay attention to me kind of volcano. As I write these words, I realize that the goddess Kali is here with her fiery energy, demanding that I pay attention to her, to me and to honor this process. If I don't, she will boil forth with molten lava.

I made a commitment to heal the split 21 years ago. I traveled La Camina and was initiated.

The time is now.

Suseya,

Sahara

No comments:

Post a Comment